Thursday, January 11, 2007

Birthday Parties, Family Parties, Holidays, New Babies

It has been a whirlwind four months!  I thought I should write it all down so I don't forget all that has happened in the past four months or so.

Summer ended and school started in September.  Laura started her senior year of highschool and her second year of PSEO.  I know it sounds corny, but where did the time go?  Michael started 10th grade and his first year at Park High School.  He also started his year living at his Grandma Hannah's with his dad.  It has been a difficult time for me to not have Mike home here with me.  It seems that they are babies one day and you are their whole world and then one day they don't want you in their world.  I pray that it won't be this way always for Mike and me.  I am so encouraged at the great choices Mike is making in his classes at school and his job.  Mike got his first job in October.  He is working at Bielenberg Sports Center. It seems to be such a good fit for him. 

Steven started eighth grade and played football again this year. But because he had emergency surgery, he wasn't able to finish his season.  I felt so bad for him.  All summer he looked forward to football season and enjoyed playing so much.  You just never know what tomorrow holds.

Kari started fourth grade this year.  She loves her teacher, Ms. Draper.  She loves her school and her friends.  Kari is the first of my six children to talk on the phone with friends.  One day I found her having a three way conversation with two of her girlfriends!  She loves spending time with her friends. Kari ran for Student Council and got elected.  She has meetings every other week and is enjoying it.  Casey goes to a different school, but they spend as much time together as possible.  Katy has been such a blessing these past two years.  And Katy's mom, Lori.  Lori is the librarian at Kari's school.  She has become a friend and it is such a blessing to have someone at Kari's school that is a part of Kari's life. 

My mom turned 80 on October 12.  We had a birthday party for her.  Chris and Sherry came from California.  BG came from New York and Christian and his family came from Chicago.  All the great-grandchildren, grand children and children (except Claudia and her family) were there to celebrate with Mom. I think there were forty or so people here that day. It was just the best time.  The weather was so warm that we were able to eat outdoors.  Chris and Sherry stayed the whole weekend and that was wonderful to spend extra time with them.  Mom loved her day and that made it all worth it. 

On October 28th we had a shower for Lynn and her new baby girl!.  It was so special to do that for Lynn.  Lynn and I missed some moments in each other lives in the past so having this shower made it so special.  Tori (Gaston) gave the devotion and Emily, Laura and Kari did the games.  So many family and friends came to bless Lynn and her baby.

November 10 and 11th Kari had her first ever overnight kids birthday party.  She had Waverly, Hannah, Katy, and Casey over.  They ate pizza and had ice cream cake.  They went skating at the sports center and then came home to hot chocolate and games.  Laura and Brianna helped and played games with the girls.  It is always a hit when the older kids play with the younger kids!  The party ended at 11:00 the next day.  I was tired, but so blessed that Kari had such a good birthday.

Thanksgiving fell in between Kari's party and Emily's shower.  We had Emily's shower on the Saturday after Thanksgiving,November 25th.  Emily's mom, Tammy, was up from Texarkana and we wanted her to be able to be a part of the shower.  It was a beautiful day for Emily.  Tammy planned some games and Lynn had everyone string a braclet for Emily and her baby. As they put their bead on the braclet they each said what their pray or hope for Emily and her baby was.  It was so very touching and meaningful.  What a blessing for Emily to hear how much she and her baby are loved.  

With Thanksgiving over we could settle in and wait for Lynn's baby.  Her due date was December 7, but our little Raiya Mylan came on December 5 at 9:20 p.m.  Becoming a grandma is an amazing event.  How wonderful this miracle of life is.  It was so much fun going and spending time with Lynn and Raiya.  Some sleepless nights and busy days, but I wouldn't trade if for anything.

On December 16 we had the Fry family Christmas here at our house.  There thirty-five or so people here.  Dennis and Sheila stayed with us until Monday.  It was great getting to know Doug's family a little better. 

On Decembe 18 I spent the day with Lynn and Raiya.  That night I started getting sick and that was the beginning of a very long sickness and recovery for me.  I ended up with pneumonia and bronchitis.  I coughed so hard I hurt the muscle around my left ribs.  It hurts to when I lay down so I am not sleeping well. 

I went through Christmas sick.  I finally saw the doctor on Dec. 27 and got some medicine.  I am still not feeling well. 

January 1 Laura Beth turned 18.  We had a family party planned for her on New Year's Day, but Kari had a fever and upset stomach so we had to postpone it till Sunday, January 7.  I think it was a good day for Laura.  Not the fun day I hoped for though.  She did have Brianna overnight for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.  I think that helped with making the day feel special.

It is so hard as a Mom ( and now Grandma) to make everyone feel special and loved.  That is one thing I long for all the time.  That each of my children and their spouses and grandchildren will know how much I love them.  My greatest desire for all my family is that they would know deep down in their hearts and would experience in the very depths of thier soul the love of God.  God's love is an amazing thing.  When we know that God loves us undconditionally, we can love ourselves and then love others.  It is the cry of my heart, the hope of my days that each of my family would know Christ and His love and that they would live for Him.

Lynn and Raiya have been coming over on Wednesdays.  It has been so much fun having them come.  We just visit and take care of Raiya.  We eat together and do whatever.  It is just so comfortable.  I am blessed.

At the end of the month I will be taking some vacation so I can take care of Raiya for Lynn.  Lynn will go back to work on Jan. 31 and I will go to their house and take care of Raiya their.  It will help Lynn with the adjustment of being back to work and it will give Raiya a couple of more weeks to grow before going to her Aunt.  Aunt will take care of Raiya along with her granddaughter. 

Steve is playing basketball again this year. He wasn't going to but decided here at the last minute to play.  I am glad he is.  He is pretty good and I love watching him.

Things on my mind right now are my second grandbaby coming in February and Laura's senior year and graduation.  Labor and delivery, scholarships, colleges and open houses.  I think the next four or five months will be as full as the last four or five months!  But what a good way to fill my life!! 

No comments: