Saturday, May 10, 2008

Memories

On days like today when family is all around I think of my Dad a lot.  I miss him so much. 

Laura Beth has been working on a project for one of her college classes.  She had my Mom and Lynn and I answer questions about ourselves.  One of them was a question about favorite memories of childhood.  I am blessed to be able to say that I had a ton to pick from and no, I didn't narrow it down to just one memory.

One of the memories was of my Dad and I walking the fence around the pasture.  It was a beautiful, warm summer day and it was just the two of us walking and talking as Dad checked the fence.  As we walked Dad found a dime in the path.  He picked it up and gave it to me.  It happened to be quite an old coin.  A Liberty Seated 1876 Dime.  I hung onto that dime not because of the worth of it, but because it brings back such fond memories for me.  My Dad wasn't one to "preach" or talk about life lessons.  But he sure left me with life lessons just by being with me.  He lived more than he spoke.  I caught more by his example than by his words.  I am thankful for a father who loved me and took care of me.  I am thankful for a father who loved my mother! 



No comments: