Sunday, February 24, 2008

Saturday visit with my Mom






This is my Mom.  She is 81 years young.  I have been trying to spend some consistent time with her.  I so enjoy being with her.  My favorite thing about being with her is that we laugh.  We laugh at the silliest things.  The kind of things that you have to be there to think it is funny.  But we seem to find endless things to laugh about.  Even when we are thinking about sad things we can find the humor in the moment.


Now that I am the mother of six children and having experienced the teenage years five times now, I have a new found admiration for my Mom.  She worked full time for a lot of my growing up years.  At the time (being a very self-centered teenager) I didn't realize what a hero my Mom was.  She worked all day and still came home and made a meat and potato meal for us every night.  And a huge Sunday dinner each week.  We all had our chores, but Mom did most of it.  Grocery shopping, wash (though in later years my Dad stepped in).  We all had some pretty rough teen years.  But she kept it together.  Now being in that spot of trying to be all to everyone I know exactly what she went through. 


I wish I had been more appreciative.  I wish I would have realized how tired she was and offered to help her out more.  Instead we all teased her about going to bed so early!  She was the first one up every morning!


She was there during each and every crisis I went through.  Not just in my youth, but even in my adulthood.  That is something you learn as your kids grow up...Mom's are Mom's no matter how old your kids are.


I was homeschooling my kids when I was going through my divorce.  Mom would come over and teach school while I went to my waitressing job.  She saw me through that school year and her grandchildren through a tough time.  The kids went to school the following year, but they had that adjustment time because she was willing to be"all to all". 


When Kari needed someone watch her during the day while I was at work, Mom stepped in.  She watched her three days a week.  What would Kari and I have done with out Mom?!


I guess I wanted to just honor my Mom today.  To let her know that, even though she would say she isn't perfect, I say she is just the perfect Mom and Grandma for me and my kids! 


I love you, Mom.  I treasure our movie dates and dinner dates and just hanging out together.  Thank you for all you do and all you are in my life!

Deb

No comments: